Participating and Nonparticipating Members typically have a Solo Exhibition every 2.5 to 3 years. Members are granted voting rights and receive full benefits.
Applicants who live within a 50 mile radius of the Gallery must apply for Participating Membership and actively participate in the operation of the Gallery through committee work and attendance at a Friday night meeting once a month, September to June. This category is open to artists who live beyond a 50 mile radius, if they are able to meet these obligations.
- Solo Exhibition
- Administrative services for Gallery exhibitions
- Mailing labels available for Member’s Solo Exhibition
- Listings in major and local gallery guides/maps, online websites and social media
- Exhibition announcements sent to an extensive email list (4500 recipients)
- Participation in an annual Members Group Show
- Artist representation on Gallery website
- Opportunities for Artist-led events
- Opportunity to network with fellow artists
- Eligible to rent gallery space. Click for more information.
- Monthly Dues
- Participating Members $145 per month
- Non-Participating Members (out-of-town) $205 per month
- Initiation Fee: $450 (nonrefundable). Fee can be paid in installments over six months.
- Gallery Administrator’s Services for Solo Exhibition: $119 per day for 20 days
- Responsible for exhibition and advertising expenses related to their show including:
- Website fee for Home Page and Press Release images and documents
- Website fee for Artist Portfolio Page images and documents
- Member must abide by the Gallery’s Bylaws, Code of Ethics and Gallery policies
- Participating members must actively participate in committee work and attend a Friday night meeting once a month from September to June
Applications for membership are reviewed at monthly meetings, September through June, but can be submitted at any time during the year. Artists may initially bring or send original works to the Gallery or send digital images or a CD to be reviewed. A third option is to submit an online Application Form. All applicants are asked to provide the following information:
- Artist’s resume and statement
- 6-10 digital images of recent work – if uploaded onto the Application Form, please follow instructions for JPEGS, notation of name, title, medium, dimensions, and year
- Website address if available
After a preliminary review of digital images, selected applicants will be invited to bring 3-5 original works to the Gallery. Out-of-town applicants may submit 2-4 pieces. Artists invited to continue the application process may request special accommodations, if specific work and/or location require it. Members are only accepted after review of actual work.
Contact FIRST STREET GALLERY at 646-336-8053, Tues-Sat 11am-6pm.